Tuesday 14 October 2014

Flawless foundation routine - highlighting and contouring

Hello everyone ! So I have decided to do a short ... well I say this is going to be short but I can talk for ages when it comes to makeup... But yes a flawless foundation routine guide . Many people have asked me how to achieve a look that covers imperfections but yet does not look caked on or over the top. The key to this is knowing how much product to use and how to apply it. I do briefly give some steps on highlighting and contouring which I love and I know so many people are interested in it. 


Firstly, you want to prime the skin ... I have not found a primer as of yet that is a  must have for me but I do think your foundation needs something to cling and stick too. If you have any primer recommendations i'd really love to hear from you! I used Maybellines Baby Skin to give me a smooth canvas to start on but you can go ahead and use any face moisturiser to do the job .  

You want to apply your foundation evenly all over the skin ; a foundation is mean't to even out your skintone . I used my expert face brush from real techniques to work my foundation into the skin using circular motions . The foundation I used was the new Ysl Fusion Ink one which I adore ! It provides a medium buildable coverage that feels so weightless on the skin- I may have to do a review on that! 
For those of you wanting a lighter application, go in with a damp beauty blender or a stippling brush to apply your foundation. 

The second picture demonstrates me highlighting my face ; I used Macs prolongwear concealer in Nc30 and Macs highlighter pen in ' light boost ' under the eyes , the bridge of the nose , the forehead and the chin. These are the high points of the face / areas that I want to highlight and bring forward ... I have a relatively small forehead so I highlight the centre of it to widen the forehead space. If you have a large forehead and want it to appear smaller you can skip that step. 

The concealer I used and the highlighter pen would be great for those of you like myself that have tan skin and yellow undertones as it will accentuate those undertones .

Thirdly, you can see me ready with my handy beauty blender ( miracle complexion sponge by real techniques) to blend all this highlighting work out. You want to run the sponge under your tap before using it so the sponge is nice and damp - make sure you squeeze the excess water out. This water will add moisture to the face whilst blending out the product underneath perfectly. Use the beauty blender in a pressing motion, do not swipe the product you should really press it into the skin. This pressing motion will soak up any extra product making it impossible to have cakey undereye concealer ! 

Your face should look all blended out with no harsh lines like mine in picture No. 4 ! 


The next four steps is the contouring part ! My favourite ! This step is essential to adding dimension to the face and is a great way of changing the face shape. 

Ideally, you want a product that is a couple of shades darker than your skintone. Many people do this with another foundation that's darker or even concealer , however I used a Matte Bronzer from Mac. The darker products are applied to the places of the face that we want to slim down and take backwards. 

In the first two pictures , I am sculpting out my cheekbones by applying the bronzer from the top of my ear downwards towards the mouth but not all the way . You want to start of light and build on this line as it is much easier to build rather than take product alway! Once the line is at your comfortable intensity , you want to start blending the line upwards into the cheeks to give it a more natural appearance . This step sinks your cheekbones in which dramatically slims down the face ! 

To make this more natural, you want to apply the bronzer on the temple area and below the jawline to sharpen the edges up ... Slimming down your face even more but most importantly adding natural colour back into the skin after all that highlighter ! If you want to make your forehead appear smaller , run the contour product through the hairline right round your forehead to hide and take this area backwards. 

I like to slim my nose down a little so I  apply bronzer to the sides of the nose, it is a great little non surgical trick to change the shape of the nose ! Make sure you really blend this out as two stripes down the nose really isn't the prettiest look aha. This will make your nose appear much slimmer and skinnier. 



Finally, you want to smooth everything out and make sure the highlighted areas and the contoured areas are all blended in together and everything is a nice seamless picture, do this using a stippling brush with no product on it.

 I also went in with Macs Mineralized Skinfinish in Medium dark to set my highlighted areas  . It is essential that you have a great setting powder to finish the look and seal everything in . The MSF that I used is perfect and I would highly recommend everyone to purchase this product... It does not settle into fine lines and it adds a very light extra coverage too which is nice.

I then went in and finished off my make up , I added a powder highlight ( Macs soft and gentle MSF ) to the highlighted areas which finishes off the look and adds a gorgeous glow to the skin! 

So those are my steps to achieving a flawless foundation look! It does seem like a lot of steps in writing but when you are actually doing it, it does not take that long! I really hope you all love this post , do let me know, and of course if you have any questions feel free to ask away! Lots of love xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment